Calice Ligure is a small town located in the hinterland of Finale Ligure, in the fertile plain located at the confluence of the Carbuta torrent with the Pora torrent, the inhabited nucleus is balanced and vast, the mountain scenarios all around are rich and evocative, the inhabited center is cared for and in continuous balanced expansion.
The ancient territory of Calice, of which there are no references and findings of a possible testimony from the Roman era, was included in the Aleramo brand of Aleramo del Monferrato from the tenth century. Later, it became a possession of Bonifacio del Vasto in 1091 and in succession to the son of the latter: Enrico I Del Carretto.
Cited for the first time in a document of 1233 and then domain of the Del Carretto family of Savona, the Calico fiefdom became part of the Marquisate of Finale following its fate . Local historical sources testify to the loyalty of the Calicesi towards the Carretto marquisate, an alliance which over time was reciprocated with donations and protections by the Marquises themselves, including in 1449 by the Marquis Galeotto I Del Carretto who donated a silver-plated cup to the local parish church for the loyalty given in the war against Genoa.
However, almost a hundred years later the parts reversed and precisely from the village of Calice, led by the local and humble peasant Antonio Capellino, the village revolt began in 1558  against the bad governance of the Marquis Finese Alfonso II Del Carretto who it soon spread to the whole marquisate. A widespread local legend tells that Antonio Capellino himself, on the day of his wedding, instead of handing over his wife for the feudal rite of the ius primae noctis, at the head of a hundred men brought a donkey to the Marquis Alfonso.
It therefore followed the vicissitudes of the Finalese marquisate with the domination of the Kingdom of Spain from 1598 to 1713, and of the subsequent purchase by the Republic of Genoa which maintained control of the marquisate until 1796. The Calico territory was the scene of the late eighteenth century clashes between the French army and the Austro-Piedmontese army in 1794 and again in July 1795  with serious reprisals on both sides. Ancient evidence of the presence of Napoleon Bonaparte and his army are the discovery of the trenches in the locality of Pian dei Corsi.
With the French Napoleonic domination, the territory of Calice returned from December 2, 1797 in the Letimbro Department, with the capital Savona, within the Ligurian Republic. From 28 April 1798 with the new French regulations, it was part of the 1st canton, the final capital, of the Jurisdiction of the Arenas Candide and from 1803 the main center of the 5th canton of the Arenas Candide in the Jurisdiction of Colombo. Annexed to the First French Empire from 13 June 1805 to 1814, it was inserted in the Department of Montenotte. Between 1805 and 1806 the municipalities of Carbuta and Monticello were suppressed and incorporated as hamlets – respectively – in the municipalities of Calice and Finalborgo.
In 1815 Calice was incorporated into the Kingdom of Sardinia, as the Vienna Congress of 1814 established, and subsequently in the Kingdom of Italy from 1861. From 1859 to 1926 the territory was included in the IV Finalborgo mandate of the Albenga district which was part of the province of Genoa; in 1927 with the suppression of the Ingauno district it passed, for a few months, in the Savona district and, finally, under the newly constituted province of Savona.
In 1863 it took the name of Calice Ligure. It undergoes the last adjustments to the municipal territory in 1870 when the suppressed municipality of Perti was united to it and again in 1877 when the same fraction was detached and aggregated to the municipality of Finalborgo.
In the last hot phases of the Second World War, the territory of Calice Ligure was affected by a retaliation by some members belonging to the San Marco Battalion, engaged in the roundups against the partisan forces, responsible for the killing, on February 2, 1945, of eleven young partisans at Pian dei Corsi.
From 1973 to 31 December 2008 it was part of the Pollupice mountain community and, with the new provisions of Regional Law No. 24 of 4 July 2008, until 2011 it was part of the Ponente Savonese mountain community.