Finalborgo is one of the three urban nuclei forming the inhabited area of Finale Ligure, an Italian municipality in the province of Savona. Until 1927 an autonomous municipality, it was later merged with Finale Pia and Finale Marina to constitute today’s municipality of Finale Ligure.
It had the greatest development during the Middle Ages, when it was the capital of the Marquisate of Finale, governed by the Marquis Del Carretto and under Spain (17th century). The village has been reviewed as one of the most beautiful Ligurian villages in Italy.
Monuments and places of interest
The collegiate basilica of San Biagio
Collegiate basilica of San Biagio. The current parish building, the third, was built in the seventeenth century on a project by the Finale architect Andrea Storace. It contains important sculptures by Pasquale Bocciardo and his brother Domenico, more interesting pictorial works including the martyrdom of Santa Caterina by Oddone Pascale and the “Madonna delle rose” by Vincenzo Tamagni. There is also the mausoleum of the last descendant of the Carretto family Giovanni Andrea Sforza Del Carretto.
Conventual complex of Santa Caterina. Founded in 1359 and subsequently completed with the addition of two beautiful Renaissance cloisters, it is now home to the civic museum. In the adjacent convent church, now transformed into an auditorium, there are frescoes from the fifteenth century.
Palazzo del Tribunale: former seat of the Carretto government and also subsequently the judicial and administrative center of the Marquisate of Finale. Existing at least from the early 14th century, it was renovated by the Marquis Giovanni I Del Carretto in 1462 who entrusted the project to recover the structure to Giorgio Molinari; the latter modified both the interiors and the exteriors with the construction of a new staircase and the opening of mullioned windows. The palace was still revisited in the internal spaces in 1781 with the interest of the governor Giovanni Benedetto Centurione of the Republic of Genoa. The facade is of great interest for the presence of both typical fifteenth-century pictorial decorations and traces of all subsequent interventions.
Palazzo Ricci: Renaissance building that would have been the palace of the powerful cardinal Carlo Domenico Del Carretto. In 1528 it was acquired and renovated by the noble Ricci family. Later it was the seat of the municipality of Finalborgo.
Palazzo Cavasola, an ancient Carrettesque palace (the “House of the Chamber”), was donated to Erasmo Cavasola by the Marquis Alessandro Del Carretto at the end of the 16th century. Remarkably renovated in the 18th century, it has a facade with rococo decorations and a majestic slate portal.
Palazzo Brunenghi, medieval building in whose portico the pillory was located.
The fortress of Castel San Giovanni
Teatro Aycardi: it was inaugurated in 1804 and is the oldest nineteenth-century theater in western Liguria. It was obtained from the pre-existing oratory of the Fathers of the Pious Schools on a project by Nicolò Barella and had a capacity of 250 people distributed in twenty-four stages and a small audience. For the performance at the Aycardi, the work L’Empirico and the Masnadiero was specially written in 1845 by Ligurian artists of the local Philharmonic Academy. To date, the structure has been closed to the public for unusability since 1965 despite the recent conservative works on the roofs and facade.
Castel San Giovanni. Typical Spanish fortress, built in 1640-1645, still dominates Finalborgo.
Archaeological Museum of the Finale. Opened in 1931 in the restored convent complex of Santa Caterina, in Finalborgo, it preserves important prehistoric archaeological finds that document over 350,000 years of human presence in this territory of Finalese.